Tabs

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Family and a Cruise Ship


Leaving port @ San Pedro, CA
Cruising is the life for me.  A gorgeous ship, only unpacking your suitcase once, being rocked to sleep and waking up at a new port, all you can eat/drink at any time of the day/night, heading back to your room to get ready after a fun day of site seeing only to step back out and have a fun 'night out on the ship.' 

Our journey to the ship was quite the memorable one.  The ship was leaving San Pedro at 5pm on Sunday Dec 5th and we had a car picking us up at 1:30pm at my parents house, which would then head over to Newport Beach to pick up my grandparents.  Since we each had a ton of luggage, we knew we wouldn't fit in a limo so my Dad talked to the car place and they ASSURED him that a Suburban would fit everyone, and their luggage ... HAH!  With just the 4 of us (Caleb, myself and my parents) we had the back seat folded down in order to fit just our luggage ... and we really didn't have that much ... we just had BIG bags ... and maybe a carry-on each.  Well, our driver could not figure out how to pack the car and we had not even picked up my grandparents yet.  Long story short, Dad and I drove his Aspen up to San Pedro and took some of the big bags with us as the other car headed to Newport to pick up my grandparents.  I sent Caleb with them and I went with my Dad and we were texting back n forth keeping each other updated on what was going on.  With how 'smoothly' things were going I wanted to make sure they made it to the ship.  Well, we all made it to the ship and in plenty of time (though I do think we were the last ones to board the ship.)

Following unpacking and the usual lifeboat drill we had a fun evening of eating and entertainment.  The song/dance team on board far exceeded any ship I have been on before.  It was truly a great show and my grandfather had a grin on his face from ear to ear. 

The next morning was our first full day on board and it was our first full day at sea.  After eating a delicious breakfast (Caleb said the pastry chef was awesome!) we made our way pool side and I fell in love with the awesome lounge furniture.  They had your standard lawn chairs/loungers but then they had all of this other super comfy, really cute furniture so I found an empty lounger and didn't leave for the rest of the day! 

Formal night is one night on board ship that I always remember from my childhood cruises.  Meeting the Captain of the ship (ours wouldn't shake hands and spoke with a Norwegian accent but he grew up in the Bronx - hah!) and seeing all the ladies in pretty dresses and gentlemen in the tuxes while Champagne and other cocktails flowed around you.  Our family looked so nice all dressed up and we even took a few good group pictures with the photographer on board - and bought the pictures!  Anyone who has been on a cruise knows how EXPENSIVE those darn pictures are.  Really cruise ship?  It is not like you are spending any time editing them!! 

Here are some pictures from our first 2 days ...


Our room - and yes, that is all our luggage :)

Lifeboat drill



Looking @ the Port @ San Pedro

Leaving Port ... I'm pretty sure the ship is Royal Caribbean (pictured above)


Enjoyin the 'Drink of the Day'

MmMm ... Cappuccino ... the Best I have ever had!
Poolside with 'the Drink of the Day' - first day at Sea
After dinner & the show Caleb and I found what became our favorite room on the ship - Connoisseurs Club -
and enjoyed some Cigars

No comments:

Post a Comment