Tabs

Friday, January 14, 2011

Homemade Treats & All Things Lemon

Meyer Lemons
Growing up, living in Southern California, my Mom always cooked & baked using lemons.  And as long as I can remember, I have always LOVED lemons.  I still find any excuse to use them in anything I cook or bake and Caleb is now used to me ordering a side of lemon slices with any meal I get at a restaurant.  I just love citrus & sour and a lemon is BOTH = LOVE!  My Mom now has this amazing Meyer lemon tree outside her kitchen and the smell itself is amazing, let alone the taste.  I have actually packed back (in my suitcase) a few lemons from my Mom's tree, just because they are THAT good.  Now, for those of you who have never been introduced to a Meyer lemon, they are not the ones that you typically come across in a grocery store.  The skin on a Meyer lemon is much thinner and the amount of juice from one lemon can sometimes equal 3/4's cup !  A Meyer lemon has the lemon taste but with a slightly less tart bite to it, this is probably because a Meyer is a cross between a lemon & an orange. 

A couple days ago, while we were picking up a few things at Costco, we came across Meyer lemons ... but in a Costco size container (so there were LOTS!) But my thought was, No Problem! I can definitely use up all those lemons before they go bad - EASY.  Well, I am well on my way!!  I think I have already used 1/2 of the bowl in just the last 2 days, hah!  I told you ... I LOVE ME A LEMON!  Today, the coveted Lemon Bar recipe arrived in my Inbox from my Mom - score!!  I could not wait to get home and make my very first batch EVER of lemon bars (yes, I know its shocking that I've never made it given my love.)  Well, they did not disappoint!  They were just as good as I remember from my childhood and luckily Caleb loved them too.
Me: "Like? Make again?" Caleb: (mouth full of lemon bar) "YES! I can now see why you like lemons so much!"
SUCCESS!! 
Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. And here Ryan thought I was weird for loving lemons! I am going to have to go to Costco!! :) Would you mind sharing your recipe with me?! BTW, when are we meeting up and when are the kids going to have a play date? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent you the recipe!! ENJOY!! And yes, we do need to get together ASAP! Hope the New Year is treating you well!

    ReplyDelete